All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.
From the ashes a fire shall be woken,
A light from the shadows shall spring;
Renewed shall be blade that was broken,
The crownless again shall be king. - J.R.R Tolkien

Photobucket

Sometimes what I write in this blog will be well articulated, grammatically correct essays that serve as good social commentary on current issues. Most of the time, however, I'm busy and am not as diligent about proofreading or properly expressing thoughts as one should be when presenting one's writing to others. I apologize for anything you may read that seems worse than a rough draft, or appears to be a random disconnected thought. "Them's the breaks."

Thursday, December 15, 2011

Why I'm an Activist Who Can't Stand Activists

I'd like to create a discipline of writing more, particularly after speaking about it with an old friend and mentor this week. Often though, I fear I am not so good at maintaining disciplines. This one, in specific, I have failed at many times.

Tonight I was thinking about my dislike for activists in spite of my own activism. It's like that Mitch Hedberg joke "I'm against picketing, but I don't know how to show it." I have been moved to writer particularly in light of the current 'Occupy Wall Street' movement, my sympathy with the cause yet disinterest in joining anyone on the street coupled with how the effect of the media and how they have or have not been involved up to this point. Christian communities, as well as politically active communities of either side, will warn the public of evil media influence. We hear of there being too much sex or violence and media bias swaying elections. Sensationalism gets in the way of real news.  These things do bother and affect me, but I'm sick of hearing and talking about them.

Are you not sick of dwelling on everything that is wrong with the world? Is it not exhausting?

"Finally, beloved, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is pleasing, whatever is commendable, if there is any excellence and if there is anything worthy of praise, think about these things" Philippians 4:8 (NRSV - New Interpreter's Study Bible)
 The book of Philippians is beautiful to me. In this book Paul is doing much less scolding and directing, he's pleading and he's encouraging. The major issue I have with Paul is when he speaks of the role of women in the church, sometimes suggesting they should just keep quiet. But this verse is actually in response to an argument between two women Euodia and Sytyche who Paul is pleading with to stop fighting, to stop looking so closely at each other's faults. He respects them because they "Struggled beside me in the work of the gospel." They weren't silent. So here Paul is asking us to look for the best in one another. It's real easy to get together and complain but until we can find something good, is there any way forward?

In spite of all the complaints we do have plenty of good messages in our media and we don't have to look that hard for them. What in modern media do you find worthy of praise? What is true, honorable, just, pure, pleasing, commendable or excellent?

If you are prone to only consume media of one type (e.g. "I only listen to 'Christian' music.") I challenge you to look for this good in unexpected areas.  I once read a beautiful story about Martin Luther King Jr. The story was told to Bono by Harry Belafonte:

The Civil Rights Movement had hit a wall, Bobby Kennedy had been elected Attorney General. No one in the movement had anything good to say about him. He was an Irishman, and the Irish were racists.  Culturally the Irish were just one step above Blacks on the social ladder and they were sure to exercise that power because it was all they had.

Eventually Dr. King got angry. He would not reconvene the meeting until they had one redeeming thing to say about Bobby Kennedy because until then they couldn't move forward.  Soon they learned that Bobby Kennedy was close to his Bishop, so they befriended him.

When Bobby Kennedy was assassinated, in Harry Belafonte's words "There was no greater friend to the Civil Rights Movement. There was no one we owed more of our progress to than that man." (paraphrased from Bono in Conversation with Mitchka Assayas)

We cannot continue to only point out what is wrong with the world and think that it will change. Things change when the best is appealed to, not the worst.  History has proven that change is better, more effective, and (best of all) more desirable when we seek the light in (of?) the world. Has anyone out there caught sight of a really bright star worth following recently?








Silver Lined Heart by Taylor Mali

2 comments:

maydavid said...

For the best coupons discounts visit paybackdollar.Paybackdollar has 12000 Store and 50,000 coupons and deals
Paybackdollar is one of the biggist website of the coupons.Go and have fun with your coupons.Thanks


Kohls Free Shipping Mvc

Emil Thomos said...

I reached out t For Logo Design during a critical time when my online business, MiBakery, was just starting to take off. I was on a tight budget and couldn’t spend too much on a new logo, but I wanted something that would boost my business and differentiate it from the regular crowd. Someone recommended this website to me and that’s how I reached out to them and told them about my situation. One of their designers, Michael, was very patient and understanding and recommended me one of their logo designs packages that was affordable for me. The final logo design was delivered to me within a week and was a custom, professional logo design that was creative and well suited to my business. Thanks a lot for all your hard work, guys!
logo design service