All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.
From the ashes a fire shall be woken,
A light from the shadows shall spring;
Renewed shall be blade that was broken,
The crownless again shall be king. - J.R.R Tolkien

Photobucket

Sometimes what I write in this blog will be well articulated, grammatically correct essays that serve as good social commentary on current issues. Most of the time, however, I'm busy and am not as diligent about proofreading or properly expressing thoughts as one should be when presenting one's writing to others. I apologize for anything you may read that seems worse than a rough draft, or appears to be a random disconnected thought. "Them's the breaks."

Monday, January 17, 2011

What I do now without Facebook

As you may or may not know, I deleted my facebook account a little over a week ago.  If you didn't know you're either not on facebook, not my friend on facebook, or missed the myriad of warnings I posted.
Since leaving facebook I have developed some new hobbies:
Oil Painting: A Work In Progress inspired by my nightly walks to work

I'm also starting art classes (mostly drawing, not paint) tomorrow which is super exciting.

I've also started volunteering with the youth group at my church, I started out working with high schoolers but they need more help with the middle schoolers so I'll be working with them starting Wednesday.

Finally I'm getting to an extensive reading list of books I WANT to read, versus the school kind.  You can check out that list here: http://www.goodreads.com/user/show/4706470

3 comments:

sara said...

Cool painting!

spudwalker said...

As spring approaches will your tree grow leaves? Happy Birthday by the way.

Elaine said...

Hi Maggie, Happy Birthday! Thanks for the e-mail. Looking forward to seeing more of your art work. It seems you are being lead to work with children despite that you thought it wasn't your calling. I changed my facebook privacy settings last week to "only me" for most info. Have a great week, good to hear from you, love Elaine
(from Miami- Lighthouse)